[csw-users] "Proper" syntax highlighting with VIM?

Markus Gyger markus at gyger.org
Tue Mar 1 20:46:09 CET 2005

Luke Youngblood writes:
> Why is it that with the same terminal (PuTTY over SSH), same settings, I get
> only bold and underline text on a Solaris box, but my Redhat box will give
> me full color syntax highlighting?

It probably has a different entry in the terminfo database.
You usually get the current entry using infocmp or untic.
you can then set the environment variable TERMINFO to an
own directory and import the entry using tic into Solaris.
If the program is using the older termcap instead, you
would have to add the entry to /usr/share/lib/termcap.
Here is an example how to copy the dtterm entry from one
system to another (you wouldn't use dtterm as parameter
so it uses $TERM by default which you have in PuTTY probably
configured as vt100 or xterm):

    infocmp dtterm    > dtterm.ti
    infocmp -C dtterm > dtterm.tc
    # export TERMINFO=$HOME/lib/terminfo
    tic dtterm.ti
    cat dtterm.tc >> /usr/share/lib/termcap

Possibly you just need to use a different value for TERM though.

BTW, to enable bold in the man pages of Solaris you would e.g. need to:

    echo '.bd 3 1 \" re-enable bold' >> /usr/share/lib/tmac/an
    echo 'PAGER="less -s" LESS=-ie export PAGER LESS' >> /etc/profile
    echo 'setenv PAGER "less -s"' >> /etc/.login
    echo 'setenv LESS -ie' >> /etc/.login

Markus