[csw-users] Long startup times for Blastwave apps (font related)

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at nccom.com
Sat Mar 5 03:50:23 CET 2005

I've noticed that some X apps I have installed from Blastwave (i.e.,
jpilot and gaim) take forever to start up, and running truss on them
shows that they're rummaging through all our fonts.

The first time a user runs one of these it takes about a minute and a
half to start up, while it builds a .fonts.cache-1 file.  Of course the
user thinks something's wrong and tries to start the app again and
again.

Once this font cache file is built, the apps take about 20 seconds to
start.  Better, but still too long for the average impatient user.

By comparison, the gaim I built myself takes two seconds to appear.

What's going on, and is there anything I can do to help this situation?

We're running Solaris 8 2/02 s28s_u7wos_08a SPARC

Thanks...