[csw-users] FW: confirm 92bbf955aafb28a7f72a9e6887317b9f905f62f2

Robert Stampfli rob at cboh.org
Wed Mar 9 02:37:53 CET 2005

My guess is that Symantec is not being silent about quarantining
the virus, but rather is rejecting it outright.  This may seem
like the preferred action -- it's certainly satisfying --  but
it rarely has the desired outcome:  Since the address is almost
always forged, the rejected message typically bounces around,
eventually winding up in some mail admin's mailbox, causing
additional headache.  But, if the mail comes from a mailing
list, *it* gets the reject message back and the automated list
handling software just sees that the message is rejected and
treats it the same as if it got a reject due to a non-existent
account.  A better strategy for handling viruses is to silently
accept them just like everything is hunky-dory and then quietly
quarantine them locally.

Rob