[csw-users] CSW perl much slower for me

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at nccom.com
Thu May 12 03:38:05 CEST 2005

I just switched over from a home-built perl 5.6.1 to the CSW perl.  I
used CPAN to automatically rebuild its modules under the new perl
(using "autobundle").

But I'm finding that running programs under the newer perl is very
slow (i.e. 12 seconds versus 1.85 seconds using the old perl).  And
running truss(1) shows a lot more is going on:

-rw-r-----   1 jimmy    307564 May 11 14:08 /tmp/truss-perl
-rw-r-----   1 jimmy    102811 May 11 14:07 /tmp/truss-perl.old

I notice the truss on the new perl shows lots of llseek()s that didn't
happen before, for example.  This seems to be some 64-bit issue.

Could this be a problem of mixing CSW perl modules with those I've
compiled myself?

Any ideas?

Thanks...