[csw-users] Problem with the CSW install of KDE-GCC on Solaris 10

Andy Chandler achandler at visionael.com
Wed Nov 2 18:33:05 CET 2005

Sending again as type text and using correct Email Address
Greetings, pardon a newbie here but I'm having a problem with something that
previously worked for me without any problems at all!

We have a couple of boxes here one of which had Solaris 10 - its a sun blade
2000 box and I originally had a plain vanilla Solaris 10 install on it and
then installed pkg-get and downloaded without problem kde_gcc package....it
worked great.   The box suffered a hard drive problem which necessitated
replacing the drive and re-installing the OS.   This time I think I made the
following mistakes:

1: Installed companion CD - this actually put KDE 3.1 under the /opt/sfw
directory
2: Chose a language specification of en_US.ISO8859-1  ??? (not sure if it
should have been UTF or something else)
2: Installed PKG-GET and KDE_GCC BEFORE  I remembered the solaris patch
cluster
3: then installed Patch cluster.

KDE starts but no icons and the animated startup progress screen looks like
a bunch of colored blocks - basically there are no graphical resources -
originally I had graphics but just no title bars for minimizing / maximizing
windows but now I've lost even the basic desktop icons and the kicker icons.

I've since tried De-installing with pkgrm every package with CSW as the
prefix, deleted the /opt/csw structure and reinstalled everything.   I can
get a kde desktop but no graphics.   I figure I must have messed up a shared
resource that CSW links to?   Could it be a temp cache thing somewhere?
For what its worth CDE and the JDS desktops load and run great.   Also this
problem occurs both directly on the box or with a remote window manager
tunneled over ssh.

Andrew Chandler

Manager DataCollection Group

Visionael Corporation             Phone : (918) 388-8308

9717 E. 42nd Street               Fax   : (918) 663-1456
<mailto:achandler at visionael.com>

Suite 200                         Email : andy at visionael.com
<mailto:achandler at visionael.com>
Tulsa, OK 74146-3680              WEB   : www.visionael.com