[csw-users] Tomcat 5 Running as Root

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Thu Oct 6 12:10:23 CEST 2005

On 05/10/05, 17:23:42, Eric Enright <eric.enright at gmail.com> wrote
regarding Re: [csw-users] Tomcat 5 Running as Root:

> > You have to run as root to open the privileged ports (< 1024). The
> > normal workaround is to use higher ports (8080) and somehow map to
> > 80.

> Right.  Any by default Tomcat binds to 8080, and from what I understand
> it is common to connect to Tomcat through Apache.

It's common but I suspect often unnecessary.  The reasons for running
with Apache are because: Java servlets are a small part of the site,
you need some plugin feature of Apache like mod_php, you have a huge
web site, or are distribution the services for load sharing.  Don't
add in Apache for just the port mapping, you can do this across an
interface when routed to the end users.

There should be no problem with serving all content, ie, the plain
files as well, true apache can do it with slightly less CPU but why
worry when it's so easy anyway.  Remember it adds an overhead for
non-plain files and those are the ones that take effort already.

> > Tomcat could do the same.  Please make a request for change to CSWtomcat5
> > via:
> >     http://www.blastwave.org/bugtrack/

> I have done so:

> http://www.blastwave.org/mantis/view_bug_page.php?f_id=0001206