[csw-users] Problems with new Gnome on Solaris9/Sparc

Meik Hellmund Meik.Hellmund at math.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Aug 28 11:53:03 CEST 2006

Meik Hellmund <Meik.Hellmund at math.uni-leipzig.de> writes:
> But now I have a new problem I have never seen before:
> Different gnome programs (gnome-terminal, gedit,...)
> crash with:
>
>   The program 'gedit' received an X Window System error.
>   This probably reflects a bug in the program.
>   The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
>   (Details: serial 710 error_code 2 request_code 131 minor_code 3)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Some more notes about this:

  - This only happens if the "Crux" theme is used, other themes are
    running fine.
  - I double- und triple-checked, that I longer have packages from
    blastwave/unstable on my machine, everything is from blastwave/stable.
  - Starting the gnome-themes-manager in a terminal I get
    (gnome-theme-manager:10403): Gtk-WARNING **: ld.so.1:
    gnome-theme-manager: fatal: relocation error:
    file /opt/csw/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/libsmooth.so:
    symbol __sincos: referenced symbol not found

    So there seem to be some problems with the stable gnome version, too.

Regards, Meik

PS: Why are all the packages, even the packages from unstable, without
debugging symbols?

--
Meik Hellmund
Institut fuer Mathematik, Uni Leipzig