[csw-users] Compiling modules for Perl

Alex Moore asmoore at blastwave.org
Mon Feb 13 16:13:36 CET 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:57:58 +0100
Nico De Ranter <nico at sonycom.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a bunch of modules for Perl (stable/5.8
> repository). Unfortunately I can't compile modules that contain C code
> as these have to be compiled with exactly the same compiler as the one
> perl was compiled with. So: anybody any idea which compiler was used
> to compiler perl (not gcc apparently)?

Correct, not gcc, at least on the modules that I am aware of.

Sun's Studio 8 is typically used.  There may be some built with Studio
10, but I am not sure.

You may be able to use Sun's Studio 11, which I think is now available
for no charge. Previous to Studio 11, Sun's compilers did cost a bit of
money.

Always use LD_OPTIONS='-R/opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib'.  I also
use CFLAGS='O -xarch=[v8 or 386]' and put /opt/csw/bin in PATH before
any other directories that have the perl binary.

Since the blastwave modules are build with INSTALLDIRS=vendor, the
following is revised for what you probably want.

perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/opt/csw INSTALLDIRS=site
gmake
gmake test (optional)
MAKE=gmake stagepkg (if you want to make a package)

Alex