[csw-users] Compiling modules for Perl

Nico De Ranter nico at sonycom.com
Mon Feb 13 17:07:46 CET 2006

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Nico

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 15:58 +0000, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 13/2/06 3:33, Alex Moore <asmoore at blastwave.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:19:14 +0000
> > Chris Ridd <chris.ridd at isode.com> wrote:
> >
> >> % /opt/csw/bin/perl -V
> >> [...]
> >> ccversion='Sun C 5.7 2005/01/07';
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I'm using the unstable branch, so YMMV. Sun C 5.8 appears to be part
> >> of Studio 11, so I guess Sun C 5.7 is part of Studio 10.
> >
> > I just compiled a module that built a shared object library with Studio
> > 11, so that appears to be the simplest and least expensive method.
>
> I'd be surprised if Studio 11-built shared objects weren't compatible
> (though the reverse might not be.)
>
> > Also, take note of the blastwave build standards for options to use
> > with Studio 11.  Or you may end up with some larger than necessary
> > objects.
>
> Good point, though since perl also knows what compiler flags were used to
> build it it seems reasonable to assume those are "correct" and to use them
> directly. Doesn't MakeMaker (or whatever the perl module is nowadays) do all
> this stuff for you automagically anyway?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Sony Service Center (NSCE)
The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1
B-1935 Zaventem, Belgium
Telephone: +32 (0)2 700 86 41 Fax: +32 (0)2 700 86 22