[csw-users] CSW OpenLDAP Seg Faults

Roy McMorran mcmorran at mdibl.org
Fri Jan 6 23:16:39 CET 2006

Alex Moore wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:56:47 -0500
>Roy McMorran <mcmorran at mdibl.org> wrote:
>

>>Another clue.  slapd does not crash if ldap.client
>>(/usr/lib/ldap/ldap_cachemgr) isn't running.
>>

>That is good to know.  Now that I think about it, the times that I have
>of using openldap as a client on Solaris, they were not using Sun's
>client.  In the past, Phil's site has some information on this.
>www.bolthole.com
>
>Alex

Perhaps if you are not using the Sun client it's not the case, but I had
read that it's "not possible" to run the LDAP client and server on the
same host.  But then I discovered and implemented the workaround at
http://swforum.sun.com/jive/thread.jspa?forumID=13&threadID=49945
<http://onesearch.sun.com/search/clickthru?qt=openldap+client+server+same+machine&url=http%3A%2F%2Fswforum.sun.com%2Fjive%2Fthread.jspa%3FforumID%3D13%26threadID%3D49945&pathInfo=%2Fonesearch%2Findex.jsp&hitNum=1&col=developer-forums>
However, the seg fault problem I'm seeing isn't addressed there.

I said:

>Another clue.  slapd does not crash if ldap.client
>(/usr/lib/ldap/ldap_cachemgr) isn't running.

And therein lies another workaround.  As a band-aid I've bracketed an
/etc/init.d/ldap.client stop
/etc/init.d/ldap.client start
around the start_it function in the OpenLDAP startup script.

Works for now...perhaps I'll try the PADL nss and pam modules (instead on the native Solaris).  I'll update the list when I have something.

Darin Perusich wrote:

>  give this site a read, it contains a ton of information on how to
>configure the native solaris ldap clients to authenticate against openldap.
>
>http://web.singnet.com.sg/~garyttt/.

Yep, that's a great resource, I've used it extensively.  I've also been to bolthole.com.  These sites and others have been a big help in getting me this far.

Thanks!

--

Roy McMorran
Systems Administrator