[csw-users] solaris 9 pkgs on solaris 10

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Sat Jan 28 14:47:19 CET 2006

On 27/01/06, 18:42:28, Neal "A." Lucier <nlucier at math.purdue.edu> wrote
regarding [csw-users] solaris 9 pkgs on solaris 10:

> My NFS server, where I install all the CSW packages, is running Solaris
> 10; however, all my clients are running Solaris 9.

> This is causing some apps to fail in weird ways and others are failing
> in perfectly normal ways, like not being able to find the correct
> version of zlib.

> So, I want to install all the 5.9 packages on my NFS server instead of
> the 5.10 packages.  It looks like I could just change the following line
> in /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get:
> OSREV=`uname -r`
> to:
> OSREV=5.9

> Is this all I have to do and everything will "just work"?

No.  The OSREV is where pkg-get looks for the packages to download.
It forms a URL like $MIRROR/$CPU/$OSREV/$PACKAGE.  This allows for it
to download packages specifically for your arch.  Currently there are
no differences between 5.8, 5.9 and 5.10 and if you look closely you
will see that for stable the directories are symbolic links to 5.8,
(warning, this might change in the future).  The reason for your
problems must be something else.

Some packages compensate for the one file suits all arches by having a
postinstall or classes that do different things depending on the osrev,
sendmail is one example.  I expect most of these are doing things in
/etc/ which you are not exporting anyway.  I can see no reason why zlib
would have problems.

Running ldd sometimes shows programs looking for a zlib version that
it can't find but this doesn't matter, ignore this:

        libz.so.1 (SUNW_1.1) =>  (version not found)

James.