[csw-users] conflicts between CSWqt and CSWqtgcc

Roman Maeder gmAB.20.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com
Wed May 17 15:49:04 CEST 2006

I am using the stable repository for Solaris 8 (SPARC) and have installed
all of the kde-gcc packages. This morning i wanted to install CSWvlc, which
pulled in a number of dependencies which conflict with similar gcc variants
needed for KDE

CSWqt   vs. CSWqtgcc
CSWarts vs. CSWartsgcc

there are now two versions of some .so libraries, such
as /opt/csw/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 and /opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
and some KDE apps pick up the wrong one:

> kedit
ld.so.1: kedit: fatal: relocation error:
file /opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib/libkdeinit_kedit.so: symbol _ZN7QString4nullE:
referenced symbol not found

which can be fixed with

> env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib kedit

however, for others, such as knode, not even this helps, it still picks up
the wrong one:

env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib ldd /opt/csw/kde-gcc/bin/knode
        libqt-mt.so.3 =>         /opt/csw/lib/libqt-mt.so.3

so the system is pretty much hosed. Is this a consequence of wrong -R
options when building the packages, or is this unavoidable, so that the two
libraries, qt and qt-gcc cannot coexist (in which case we would need
something like vlc-gcc for KDE)?

Since vlc doesn't work anyway (Xsun does not support the apparently required
Xvideo extension), I uninstalled the conflicting packages, and things are
back to normal inside KDE.

Roman