[csw-users] pkg-get help

Manish Agrawal magrawal at coba.usf.edu
Fri Nov 17 19:34:06 CET 2006

The HOWTO page is actually very good. But I must admit that newbies like me can use a little more hand-holding and correct file names. My suggestions are below:

1. In step 1 for get pkgget, you could add the following hand-holding statements - "save it to your desktop and use an FTP program to upload the file to the server/Solaris 10 machine". (recommend say filezilla for FTP and a directory on the server (say /tmp). It would be great if you also provide some policy notes here - this is a good directory because the files automatically get deleted on reboot or whatever is generally recommended)

2. For wget: You mention about the version in /usr/sfw/bin. So, what should we do with it? LEave it as is? Delete it? If I donwload the new wget, how will it get precedence over this?

Also, the filename is actually wget-i386.bin (this created confusion for me the first time because I created the /tmp/wget directory and put the file in the /tmp/wget directory following your directions)

Suggest rewrite the following:

Regardless of where you get that little binary from you need to put it in /tmp/wget and make sure that it is executable. That means that you may need to do this:
# chmod 755 /tmp/wget

As:

Regardless of where you get that little binary from, you need to put it in /tmp. Once again, you can download the file from the link above, save it to your desktop and use Filezilla to upload it to your server). The full file path will be /tmp/wget-i386.bin. Make sure that it is executable. That means that you may need to do this :
# chmod 755 /tmp/wget-i386.bin

3. Again in step 3, for # PATH=/tmp:/opt/csw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
# export PATH

I would suggest you make it shorter (# PATH=/tmp:/opt/csw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin) because later you are suggesting doing it in the /etc/default/login file anyway. Same thing in step 7: Also correct our PATH :

# PATH=/opt/csw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
# export PATH

I have always wondered why the PATH variables for both users and su are set in 2 files - /etc/default/login and /etc/default/su.

Thanks
Manish