[csw-users] cyrus imapd

Yann Rouillard yann.rouillard at jouy.inra.fr
Wed Nov 29 12:12:29 CET 2006

> Second:
>
> Today i updated my cyrus imapd Server to the recent stable version. I
> experienced some difficulties during the update procedure. ( I would
> love to file a mantis entry. But i am still waiting for the EMail :)

mantis is a better way to report bug as I don't always follow the csw
user list.

> Installing cyrus_imapd - Pop and Imap server from the Cyrus mail system
> as <CSWcyrusimapd>
>
> ## Executing preinstall script.
> /var/sadm/pkg/CSWcyrusimapd/install/preinstall: /usr/bin/getent: not found
> Creating cyrus user...
> UX: /usr/sbin/useradd: ERROR: cyrus is already in use.  Choose another.
> pkgadd: ERROR: preinstall script did not complete successfully

the getent binary is usually present on defaut solaris install, it's in
the package SUNWnisu, you can install it to quickly solve this bug
But I will try to update the package to not require this binary (or to
explicitely depend on this package).

> Then, if you try to solve this problem with removing the cyrus user and
> pkgrm the package you ran into the next problem. The preinstall script
> is not forcing a unique uid for the cyrus user and therefore
> /opt/csw/var/cyrus/mail is not accessible.

There is no policy for uids, so I can't force a unique uid as it could
collide with a currently used uid.
But this bug only happen because the preinstall script didn't work as
expected.

You can solve your problem by doing this:
chown -R cyrus:mail /opt/csw/var/cyrus /opt/csw/etc/cyrus

Yann