[csw-users] PHPx modules conflicting with native Solaris LDAP libs

David Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Oct 4 08:29:31 CEST 2006

Howdy-
   We've been trying our very best to solve this problem by ourselves
for the last couple of weeks to no avail. We are bleary eyed from
looking at backtraces, truss output, and google searches. The
maintainer for these packages has not responded to our email so now
we find we have to throw ourselves on the mercy of this list as a
last resort before we have to abandon Blastwave for this purpose.

Here's the situation (more details on any of it available upon request):

As mentioned in http://lists.blastwave.org/pipermail/users/2005-
February/003273.html, it seems that the native Sun LDAP libraries, as
called when using them for nameservice (nsswitch.conf), conflict with
with the OpenLDAP libraries that Blastwave's php4 and php5 modules
are linked against.  This conflict only shows up if you use the
native Sun routines as your nameservice choice (vs. say nis or
files). The end result is both php4 and php5 crash (truss/backtraces
available upon request) or cause the Apache2 processes to crash when
they attempt to make a nameservice call (e.g. mysql php bites the
dust when it first spins up and attempts to determine the user's
groups). This problem goes away if the Sun LDAP nameservice is
disabled (either by removing the entry from nsswitch,conf or kill the
ldap cache manager).

Sun ostensibly fixed this conflict between the two sets of libraries
in a patch (112960), but subsequently appears to have re-broken
compatibility between the two in a later version of that patch (they
are up to revision 39: http://patches.sun.com/all_unsigned/
112960-39.README) according to at least one bug report on the matter.

We have tried everything we can think of to make this conflict go
away short of building php ourselves (thus negating the plus of using
Blastwave). This list includes trying different combinations of
apache and php version 4/5, LD_PRELOAD games, tweaking the OpenLDAP
config files, starting apache with LDAP name service down and re-
enabling it afterwards, patching with every Solaris patch available,
and on, and on, and on.

At this point, the only thing we can think of is to use a variation
of the mod_php modules linked against the native libraries and not
against the OpenLDAP libraries as was suggested by a previous
maintainer of the PHP packages here:

http://lists.blastwave.org/pipermail/users/2005-February/003280.html

We can't seem to get in touch with the current maintainer to see if
he would consider doing something like this so we're kind of stuck.
The end goal seems pretty straightforward: we'd like a a Blastwave-
installed version of Apache that has mod_php (4 or 5) with native
LDAP and mysql support working in it to support vBulletin. So far it
has been really, really hard to get there. Any suggestions at this
point would be gratefully appreciated.  Thanks for listening to our
tale of Blastwave woe.

      -- dNb