[csw-users] Openssl package split

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at inamo.no
Tue Aug 7 20:17:36 CEST 2007

Yann Rouillard wrote:
> Trygve Laugstøl a écrit :
>> Yann Rouillard wrote:
>>> A new openssl package will soon be available from the mirror sites.
>>> No new openssl version, but some modifications in the packaging layout,
>>> the openssl has been split into the following three packages:
>>>
>>> 	openssl_rt    - provides runtime libraries
>>> 	openssl_devel - provides headers and static libraries
>>> 	openssl_utils - provides openssl binaries and scripts (openssl,
>>>             c_rehash, CA.pl, ...)
>> I find calling packages "foo_rt" confusing. As a _user_ of blastwave I
>> would like to get "OpenSSL" and thus I should pkg-get install the
>> "openssl" package. I've seen this pattern a few places and is still
>> confused.
>
> You can still "pkg-get install openssl", it will install the 3 packages.
>
> I will not change that package layout now but what would you propose
> instead ?

(Sorry for not replying earlier, it slipped my mind)

I know that this is not the normal blastwave layout, but something like
this:

openssl: binaries and utilities that I as a user would use.
libopenssl: the runtime libraries. openssl would depend on this. Other
packages should depend on this if they need openssl.
openssl-dev: headers and static libraries. Other packages would need
this to compile against openssl.

This is similar to how Debian does:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/oldlibs/libssl0.9.7
http://packages.debian.org/stable/libdevel/libssl-dev
http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/openssl

(Please don't take that I'm comparing this to a Linux distro this the
wrong way, but I do feel that they have gotten a lot of things right)

--
Trygve