[csw-users] Submitting an ncmpc package

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at inamo.no
Wed Aug 8 11:57:16 CEST 2007

Alessio wrote:
> Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
>
>> Ok, sorry. I was (or am) a bit annoyed that I didn't get a single
>> response, even if it was to say that "we're busy".
>
> you didn't know, but your mail has been also forwarded to the private of
> the maintainers mailing list to discuss about that... so you didn't get
> ignored
>
>> How long should I expect to wait?
>
> well, the 1st prerequisite to be a blastwave maintainer is patience,
> because it's an hard work, without any retribution and with many users
> which keep asking many things...

I am well aware of the requirements and I am ready to commit time to
maintain the packages. I already dedicate lot of time to open source
project and know how stuff work.

>> you can't expect me to stay around for ever either.
>
> well, the 2nd prerequisite to be a blastwave maintainer is the
> willingness to stay around for as long time as possibile, since there
> are already too many abandoned packages...

I meant before getting any response.

>> The most important thing to me is that I have somewhere to put my
>> packages so I know that my work won't be lost. I wouldn't mind it if
>> someone would commit my packages for me, I'm not demanding to become a
>> maintainer straight away.
>
> nobody will commit your packages, because this is not how blastwave
> packages submission process works:

Perfectly fine, it was just a suggestion from my side.

> 1) you have to signup as maintainer, possibly for more than 1 package.
> Remember: a maintainer is someone who has a lot of spare time, is
> willing to maintain his packages for more than 1 year, and daily uses
> them for personal or professional purposes
> 2) you have to wait for a response
> 3) you'll have
> to signup again if nobody answers you (and there are many reasons this
> could happen)
> 4) if someone will answer you, then you'll have to prove you are really
> willing to be a maintainer (but only Phil knows how) and possibly you've
> to provide a "bombastic" email address

I've done this part but it stopped after Phil didn't want to accept any
of the means of identification [1] I could provide and didn't come back
to me when I asked for alternate means.

> 5) you'll get access to the blastwave build machines: only there you can
> build your packages, following exactly the guidelines [1]
> 6) once a package has bee built, you have to submit it to the other
> maintainers for testing and QA
> 7) finally, the package will be submitted in the unstable catalog
> 8) after N months, if the package does not receive any major bug report
> on mantis, it will be automatically submitted to the stable catalog

This seem like a pretty normal operating procedure to me and I am ready
to commit to them (as I've said before).

> Love it or hate it, this is blastwave.

Just give me the chance to love it :) I just want to contribute back
some work after all I've gotten from blastwave.

[1]: faxed in signed copy of passport (which was good enough for
Apache), an email from my apache.org acount.

--
Trygve