[csw-users] Submitting an ncmpc package

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at inamo.no
Wed Aug 8 19:48:33 CEST 2007

Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, sorry. I was (or am) a bit annoyed that I didn't get a single
>>> response, even if it was to say that "we're busy".
>> you didn't know, but your mail has been also forwarded to the private of
>> the maintainers mailing list to discuss about that... so you didn't get
>> ignored
>>
>>> How long should I expect to wait?
>> well, the 1st prerequisite to be a blastwave maintainer is patience,
>> because it's an hard work, without any retribution and with many users
>> which keep asking many things...
>>
>>> you can't expect me to stay around for ever either.
>> well, the 2nd prerequisite to be a blastwave maintainer is the
>> willingness to stay around for as long time as possibile, since there
>> are already too many abandoned packages...
>>
>>> The most important thing to me is that I have somewhere to put my
>>> packages so I know that my work won't be lost. I wouldn't mind it if
>>> someone would commit my packages for me, I'm not demanding to become a
>>> maintainer straight away.
>> nobody will commit your packages, because this is not how blastwave
>> packages submission process works:
>> 1) you have to signup as maintainer, possibly for more than 1 package.
>> Remember: a maintainer is someone who has a lot of spare time, is
>> willing to maintain his packages for more than 1 year, and daily uses
>> them for personal or professional purposes
>> 2) you have to wait for a response
>> 3) you'll have
>> to signup again if nobody answers you (and there are many reasons this
>> could happen)
>> 4) if someone will answer you, then you'll have to prove you are really
>> willing to be a maintainer (but only Phil knows how) and possibly you've
>> to provide a "bombastic" email address
>> 5) you'll get access to the blastwave build machines: only there you can
>> build your packages, following exactly the guidelines [1]
>> 6) once a package has bee built, you have to submit it to the other
>> maintainers for testing and QA
>> 7) finally, the package will be submitted in the unstable catalog
>> 8) after N months, if the package does not receive any major bug report
>> on mantis, it will be automatically submitted to the stable catalog
>>
>> Love it or hate it, this is blastwave.
>
> Please allow me to add one last point.
>
>   9) things have worked like this year after year after year and it may
>      be conservative, somewhat self critical and overly careful
>
>                          * but it works *
>
> We have been discussing the issues behind closed doors for some time now and
> we will probably come up with a way to accomodate people better.  If we can.

Just by doing more stuff in public (like Sun is trying to) would be
super great for people trying to get involved. Sometimes people would
like to contribute more than actual packages, like documentation, plain
testing or hardware. Currently that is something that is hard at
blastwave as "getting in touch" seem hard (it might not be the case, but
it is not as inviting as other organizations).

--
Trygve