[csw-users] Submitting an ncmpc package

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at inamo.no
Wed Aug 8 23:23:27 CEST 2007

Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Trygve Laugstøl wrote:

>>> Just by doing more stuff in public (like Sun is trying to) would be
>>> super great for people trying to get involved. Sometimes people would
>>> like to contribute more than actual packages, like documentation, plain
>>> testing or hardware. Currently that is something that is hard at
>>> blastwave as "getting in touch" seem hard (it might not be the case, but
>>> it is not as inviting as other organizations).
>
> Well, you are quite right of course.
>
> Right now we are having a fascinating discussion on optimization and on
> creating binaries for specific processor targets. I have built the new gzip
> package ( which I'll finish shortly ) as well as GCC 4.2.1 ( which is
> running its testsuite ) and there are benefits to tweaking the xarch flags
> for pentium_pro as well as pentium_pro+mmx or whatever.  There is a vast
> arrya of talent in here and this is one discussion where I wish we moved it
> out to the users list.  Everyone would benefit from it I think.
>
>> That said, there are of course many reasons to have private lists, but
>> it is a matter of which list the message should go to by default.
>
> I guess no one wants to see the package maintainers yakking about how to
> tweak out the last bit of performance or about why 64-bit can sometimes be
> evil.  That sort of thing ?  :-)

No, I was more thinking of sensitive stuff like security issues and
discussing potential new maintainers.

I would _love_ to see the discussion you talked about, even if it just
to be able to learn, both about how to build stuff properly and how to
build stuff for blastwave. I'd like to see that kind of discussion on a
"dev" list while this user list is kept as-is with the goal of serving
the ordinary users and plain consumers of Blastwave.

--
Trygve