[csw-users] Submitting an ncmpc package

Alessio a.cervellin at acm.org
Thu Aug 9 09:48:46 CEST 2007

Trygve Laugstøl wrote:

>> 4) if someone will answer you, then you'll have to prove you are really
>> willing to be a maintainer (but only Phil knows how) and possibly you've
>> to provide a "bombastic" email address
>
> I've done this part but it stopped after Phil didn't want to accept any
> of the means of identification [1] I could provide and didn't come back
> to me when I asked for alternate means.
[...]
> [1]: faxed in signed copy of passport (which was good enough for
> Apache), an email from my apache.org acount.

Faxes are too easy to fake, I think this is not a good a way to
identificate a maintainer.
When I told a maintainer must provide a "bombastic" email, I meant that
usually a maintainer should provide as his ID an email address that can
guarantee as much as possible his identification... examples of "good"
email addresses could be:

- an email address of some big corporation
- an email address of some big organization (where the person has an
active and well-documented role since X years)
- an email address belonging to a domain running some site since X
years, and where the "whois" details are verifiable and belonging to the
maintainer
- an email address belonging to debian.org (because they already have
their own personal identification processes)
- an email address published on academic works or similar stuff

...and so on.

So, if you (not Trygve) signup as maintainer giving as reference
myname at gmail.com or myname at foo.com, you'll be rejected.

Given the nature of the blastwave project, you can easily understand why
we care so much about the identification of a maintainer...

Unfortunately, this selection method excludes people who are self-employed.
Anyway this is our current admission protocol.... again, love it or hate it.
BUT we understand this is not so good - and these are also undocumented
rules - SO if you have any suggestions, then they are really welcome.

As final note, you've to be sympathetic about us: blastwave is a quite
small organization, especially as number of maintainers if compared to
other OSS projects, so there are issues that we face rare times and so
we are not enough organized to resolve them (one of these issues is to
let people join in a deeper way the blastwave community, as maintainer
or not)