[csw-users] Blastwave and SFE

Rene Cunningham rene at terdmonk.com
Fri Aug 10 15:11:04 CEST 2007

Hi All,

Quick self introduction -- Im a long time linux user/abuser who is slowly moving into
the solaris/opensolaris space and enjoying every minute in doing so.

Im flabbergasted to see why Blastwave, or something similar, hasnt got
into mainstream solaris or even opensolaris.

Coming from a strong debian background, the most convenient tool one had
at his disposal was apt-get. Installing and updating packages that lived
on remote servers was just something every linux user would expect be
available.

Its hard for me to comprehend how this is not available with something
so mature as solaris.

Also having the package source (upstream source + package maintainer diff +
changelogs + package documentation) available through apt-get was a great help for people wanting to add their own patches to packages.

Im also concerned at seeing projects like SFE[0] working towards
providing easy to access package information and spec files to the public without
any collaboration with Blastwave. This appears to me as duplication
of work and is fracturing the achievement of a common goal both projects
are trying to achieve.

Im interested in the Blastwave communities thoughts on this and whether
there is a strong push for the Blastwave project , or something very
similar, to be an _official_ opensolaris project.

Would anyone like to share thoughts or point me towards some documentation, threads,
blog posts that describes the history and reasons why this isnt a combined effort?

Cheers and thanks for reading my concerns (or rant). :)

--
Rene

[0] - http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/spec-files-extra/