[csw-users] Blastwave and SFE

Brandorr brandorr at opensolaris.org
Sun Aug 12 06:34:06 CEST 2007

> > Its hard for me to comprehend how this is not available with something
> > so mature as solaris.
> You're not alone. To be clear though, this is more a SUN problem, then a
> BW one. Without BW, the situation would be magnitudes worse, so it's
> good to see that we've been making a real difference here.

You have to understand that historically most  people bought their
applications, and used proprietary development tools. (Short of a small list
of GNU tools that were fairly commonly used, there really wasn't much call
for open source repositories... )

It's just been relatively recently that there has been an explosion of open
source application development. (As oppose to cli commands/tools). that have
made this a neccessity. (Fairly recently would be within the past 10 years
or so).

-Brian