[csw-users] Blastwave and SFE

Jonathan Wheeler griffous at griffous.net
Sun Aug 12 14:01:48 CEST 2007

Alessio wrote:
> Earl Cahill wrote:
>> Any chance that blastwave, coolstack and opensolaris could at least be
>> built with the same compiler (the latest studio 12?)
>
> no, at least studio 11, 'cause studio 12 is not supported on solaris 8,
> which is the platform the csw packages are built on.

I'll also add to this that of the 3 packages that I'm maintaining, all
require the use of GCC.
Like it or hate it, that's just the way the software has been written.

We're packagers, not all of us are developers with sufficient skill (or
time) to make the code-level changes needed to make our packaged
programs work with studio on solaris.

I hasten to add that I'd like to learn how to do these things, but I
think it's fair to say that the use of GCC isn't a BW imposed policy
that we support both; it's a necessity in order for us to offer our
users the broadest range of software possible :)

Jonathan