[csw-users] Solaris 10+blastwave as desktop

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Wed Dec 12 22:52:00 CET 2007

Hi

> 1. What would you approve to be the best location for us to
> post bugs? This mailinglist or the bugtracker?

It definitely has to be included in the bug tracker. But you can also
post it to the ML since you won't be the only one to face the problem.
Better warn other users of your encountered problems...
> 2. Is there some activity especially for the xfce-package?

Sorry but i am not sure to understand what you mean ... (btw i am the
xfce package maintainer). I agree that version in unstable in pretty old
:( and this is certainly the meaning of your question. Am i right ? :)

There exist a version in testing (4.4.1) that i have compiled and have
been using (amongst other users) for about 10 months without major
problem, but one... xfce-menu use to segfault if you are using multi
head display on SPARC workstation (since it is not yet solved it is the
reason why it is still in testing and not unstable).

Latest Xfce release (4.4.2) has been publicly published last week. I
have already compiled it, and i am currently using it. Patches for
Solaris are ready and i will publish them in the next days (including
bug report to bugzilla.xfce.org). Patches against latest release are
minor fixes. It only deals about macro handled in different ways by gcc
and SunCC. "Real" compilation have been reported previously (version
4.4.0 and 4.4.1) and are already committed.

Current version (4.4.2) have few minor problems. I noticed several
translation problems to French.

So, if you mean, is there still an active xfce maintainer, the answer is
yes. Packages are currently being built for version 4.4.2. Packages for
version 4.4.1 are availables from testing since several monthes, and
Blastwave have fixed over 15 problems (reported problems, provided
patches and commit done bu the Xfce team) for version 4.4.x on Solaris.
Blastwave also provided Solaris port of some goodies like system-load.

If there exist anything you need which is not available. Just ask for it
:)  We are real "user's feedbacks" lovers. Please tell us what is wrong
or missing in the packages we provide, or what has to be updated.

Kind regards,

--
William                  http://www.wbonnet.net

http://www.sunwizard.net Le site français des amateurs de stations Unix