[csw-users] default browser, mail reader, etc

willie tumbleweed at fastmail.net
Sat Dec 15 22:13:04 CET 2007

Evening all,

I've googled and googled for this with no joy...

Having decided to install some blastwave packages onto my opensolaris
sparc machine (70b, full install) for the benefit of regular updates,
I've been unable to get these integrated into the gnome destop as I
want. What I'd really like is something I can read to explain how to use
CSW software rather than solaris supplied versions wherever possible.
For example, I've tried to edit:

        /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
        /usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop
        /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop

so that the blastwave versions of these programmes launch from the gnome
desktop shortcuts. Is there anything else I need to do? Although
/opt/csw/bin/firefox is then launched when I run the desktop shortcut,
I'm advised every time that firefox is not my default browser and asked
if I want to make is such. Saying "yes" makes no difference - I'm asked
the question again the every time I launch the programme.

I notice the blastwave firefox package provides:

        /opt/csw/share/applications/firefox.desktop

What am I to do with this file, copy it to "/usr/share/applications" or
tweak the operating system in some way to use
"/opt/csw/share/applications" instead?

I tried at one point to install opensolaris without the supplied firefox
but hte resultant myriad of dependent packages makes this almost
impossible (which seems ridiculous to my mind).

I've also looked at Preferred Applications on the gnome menus, which
doesn't have much effect either. Under the preferred browser here we have:

        /opt/csw/mozilla/firefox/lib/firefox %s

which doesn't even exist. I have no idea where this entry derives from
or what to do about it. If I put something different in there it reverts
back each time I run firefox. I'll appreciate anyone's help in sorting
this out.

Thanks in advance.