[csw-users] emacs 22.1.1 minibuffer hidden by X menu

Paul Fisher fisherpk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 16:34:46 CET 2007

Hoping someone will know what is going on with the latest emacs
package.  The quoted part is from gnu.emacs.help usenet group:

On Dec 17, 2:54 am, "bachm... at geo.uzh.ch" <bachm... at geo.uzh.ch> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 11:02 am, Eli Zaretskii <e... at gnu.org> wrote:> > From: bachm... at geo.uzh.ch
> > > Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 02:57:02 -0800 (PST)
>
> > > I'm running emacs 22.1 (standard 'csw'-configuration from
> > > blastwave.org) on solaris (5.10) where
> > > the 'locale' is set generally to 'en_US.UTF-8'. Whenever I run emacs I
> > > have an annyoing 'menu' in the minibuffer
> > > where I can switch the input charset.
>
> > What annoying 'menu' is that? please be specific and tell the details
> > of what you see.  (I don't see any menu when I run Emacs 22.1.)
>
> In the minibuffer I see the words "glish/European]" (the font-size is
> bigger than in other parts and the font-weight is bold. The start of
> the string "[English" lies outside the emacs windows and is not
> visible). When I click into the minibuffer a small window pops up
> showing the 8 entries.

I have the same problem upon installing emacs 22.1.1 from
www.blastwave.org (emacs or emacs_gtk package sets) onto OpenSolaris
b77.  This is with no .emacs or other customization installed.

Basically it appears to be an menu, that when clicked on Displays
  [ English/European ]
  [ Cyrillic ]
  [ Greek ]
  [ Arabic ]
  [ Hebrew ]
  [ Unicode Hex ]
  [ Unicode Octal ]
  [ Lookup ]

Selecting any except for [ Lookup ] does nothing, but [ Lookup ]
pops-up a menu of:
  a - Basic Latin
  b - Latin 1
  c - Latin Extended A