[csw-users] Problems using apache, perl and php

Jan Dreyer dreyerja at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Jul 13 11:57:29 CEST 2007

Hi,

we have two webservers with similar (speed-) problems:
Systems are Solaris 10 zones with apache (1.3.34) and PHP5
(5.2.1,REV=2007.03.15) btw. Perl (5.8.8,REV=2007.03.16). Hardware is a
E450 with no other zones beside a YP-Slave.

We tried to serve a mediawiki on the one with php5 and otrs on the other
(with perl). Both are responding very slow (About 10-20 Sek. for a
request from our intranet).

Both frontends are using mysql-databases. As the access to the database
from the webserver commandline is very fast, this is NOT the bottleneck.
Other, static pages are fast, so the access to the webserver isn't either.

I spend some time with otrs searching for the bottleneck and it seemed
that perl itself (or one of the standard modules) is bad as it does too
much filesystem-requests. An old version of xammp could have solved that
but that included to install several versions of perl/apache/mysql etc.,
which didn't match our policy. I fear to loose this service to the
windows guys ...

Our mediawiki shows the same problems. Here is no perl involved and I
have no idea where the error is (it isn't the database, as shown above).

Anyone here, who made similar observations or has an idea what has gone
wrong?!

Greetings
Jan Dreyer