[csw-users] Apache/php issue

Jeremy Wakeman jwakeman at coe.drexel.edu
Tue Jul 31 19:15:25 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I've got apache 2.2.4 and php 5.2.1 installed on my sun server (5.10).  I
can't seem to get php scripts to work correctly on the server.  I've tried a
few different settings in the httpd.conf file (since several howto/help
sites have conflicting info), but I believe I now have it configured
correctly.

The script I'm using to test php is here:
http://webmail.ece.drexel.edu/test.php  It just runs phpinfo(), but even
that simple script isn't working.

I'll stick a bunch of my httpd checks and excerpts from the config file.

BTW, one of the websites I found mentioned that php files should have
content-type headers of text/plain.  Is that correct (that's what I've got,
now)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Jeremy Wakeman

/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/httpd -t
Syntax OK

/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.2.4 (Unix)
Server built:   Feb 19 2007 00:20:08

/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/httpd -V
Server version: Apache/2.2.4 (Unix)
Server built:   Feb 19 2007 00:20:08
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:4
Server loaded:  APR 1.2.8, APR-Util 1.2.8
Compiled using: APR 1.2.8, APR-Util 1.2.8
Architecture:   32-bit
Server MPM:     Prefork
  threaded:     no
    forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
 -D APR_USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
 -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
 -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/opt/csw/apache2"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/var/run/accept.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="etc/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="etc/httpd.conf"

/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/httpd -S
VirtualHost configuration:
         default server portal.ece.drexel.edu
(/opt/csw/apache2/etc/includes/portal.ece.drexel.edu.conf:1)
         port 80 namevhost portal.ece.drexel.edu
(/opt/csw/apache2/etc/includes/portal.ece.drexel.edu.conf:1)
         port 80 namevhost webmail.ece.drexel.edu
(/opt/csw/apache2/etc/includes/webmail.ece.drexel.edu.conf:1)
Syntax OK

/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/httpd -M
Loaded Modules:
 core_module (static)
 mpm_prefork_module (static)
 http_module (static)
 so_module (static)
 authn_file_module (shared)
 authn_dbm_module (shared)
 authn_anon_module (shared)
 authn_default_module (shared)
 authn_alias_module (shared)
 authz_host_module (shared)
 authz_groupfile_module (shared)
 authz_user_module (shared)
 authz_dbm_module (shared)
 authz_owner_module (shared)
 authnz_ldap_module (shared)
 authz_default_module (shared)
 auth_basic_module (shared)
 auth_digest_module (shared)
 include_module (shared)
 deflate_module (shared)
 ldap_module (shared)
 log_config_module (shared)
 env_module (shared)
 mime_magic_module (shared)
 expires_module (shared)
 headers_module (shared)
 setenvif_module (shared)
 mime_module (shared)
 status_module (shared)
 autoindex_module (shared)
 info_module (shared)
 cgi_module (shared)
 negotiation_module (shared)
 dir_module (shared)
 actions_module (shared)
 userdir_module (shared)
 alias_module (shared)
 rewrite_module (shared)
 php5_module (shared)
Syntax OK

# This is the main Apache HTTP server configuration file.  It contains the
# configuration directives that give the server its instructions.
# See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2> for detailed information.
# In particular, see
# <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/directives.html>
# for a discussion of each configuration directive.

<snip>

<IfModule dir_module>
    DirectoryIndex index.pl index.html awstats.pl index.php
</IfModule>

<snip>

# php stuff

LoadModule    php5_module                libexec/libphp5.so
Addhandler    application/x-httpd-php            .php

<snip>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAlias webmail.ece.drexel.edu
    ServerAlias webmail.coe.drexel.edu
    ServerName webmail.ece.drexel.edu
    ScriptAlias /cgi/ "/web/webmail/cgi/"
    DirectoryIndex index.php
        DocumentRoot /web/webmail
        TransferLog /var/log/http/webmail/access_log
        ErrorLog /var/log/http/webmail/error_log
</VirtualHost>