[csw-users] [sudo_ldap 0002251]: copy /etc/ldap.conf if existing

Neal A. Lucier nlucier at math.purdue.edu
Mon Jun 4 06:05:07 CEST 2007

Sorry for top-posting, and reporters can't seem to reopen bugs, so...

There are two different, yet similar, "ldap.conf" files.  One is used
for OpenLDAP, the other is used by sudo_ldap and PADL's nss_ldap and
pam_ldap modules, neither of which are served by blastwave.

OpenLDAP's config file lives at /etc/openldap/ldap.conf while PADL's
config files live at /etc/ldap.conf.  The OpenLDAP config file is mainly
concerned with defining a default host and base and also defining the
security protocols that the libraries must adhere too, tls, sasl, check
cert, etc.  The /etc/ldap.conf file, while able to define similar things
as OpenLDAP's, specifies additional things like search descriptors, how
the pam module should handle passwords, etc.

In essence the /etc/ldap.conf file defines ldap settings at a higher
level than the /etc/openldap/ldap.conf file, such that if highly
restrictive settings are set in /etc/openldap/ldap.conf it is not
possibly to loosen them with setting in /etc/ldap.conf.

Now on to the issue of the bug...it's fine with me if you mark it as
don't fix because on any system that has already installed PADL, the
file will not contain the necessary directives to get sudo_ldap to work
(though it will contain the bulk of the directives needed, only missing
2); however, the reasoning supplied in the report is not the correct
reasoning, no other blastwave package would "own"
/opt/csw/etc/ldap.conf.  If blastwave started distributing the PADL
modules, then it would be correct for those packages _and_ sudo_ldap to
copy over /etc/ldap.conf to /opt/csw/etc/ldap.conf providing the former
existed and latter didn't.

I hope that wasn't too confusing and a waste of your time to read.

Neal