[csw-users] New project: JPack - install your software easily

Ihsan Dogan ihsan at dogan.ch
Wed May 16 14:01:58 CEST 2007

Hello Jens,

Am 16.5.2007 10:58 Uhr, Jens Langner schrieb:

> Just want to support your feelings here. I also find the standard
> Solaris package management cumbersome, ancient and outdated.
> Unfortunatley the very same applies for the patch management which
> didn't only change its names a hundred times (patchpro, smpatch, update
> manager, etc) but is also prone to be called 'ancient' in the way
> patches are managed - However, forunately the free "Patch Check
> Advanced" tool solves most of the issue
> (http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/).

Installing patches on Solaris is probably the worst thing that you can
do with Solaris. I absolutely cannot understand, why Sun is creating
monsters like smpatch. Besides that, smpatch and all the other official
Sun Tools to install patches do not work. I'm really wondering what Sun
is thinking about.

Ihsan

--
ihsan at dogan.ch		http://blog.dogan.ch/