[csw-users] sudo: location of sudoers file?

Paul Gress pgress at optonline.net
Thu May 17 01:25:08 CEST 2007

Gerard Henry wrote:
> hello all,
> my blastwave packages are installed on a nfs server.
> When i want to use sudo, i got:
> ultra20-root% /opt/csw/sbin/visudo
> visudo: /opt/csw/etc/sudoers: Permission denied
> because /opt/csw is nfs-mounted
> I created /etc/opt/csw/sudoers but it seems that visudo don't try to use it.
> Is it normal?

A couple of things.

You should log in as root to edit the file.

You said you created "/etc/opt/csw/sudoers", is this a typo, if not it's
wrong.

The error message your getting "visudo: /opt/csw/etc/sudoers: Permission
denied" says it can't open the file, again pointing to root access to
open.  If you change the access permissions for the file to open it
(from root), you'll have to change it back to use sudo, it will complain
the "sudoers" file is not root.

Paul