[csw-users] How can I get blastwave's package sources?

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at inamo.no
Thu May 17 16:36:21 CEST 2007

James Lee wrote:
> On 17/05/07, 14:47:06, "Trygve Laugstøl" <trygvis at inamo.no> wrote regarding
> Re: [csw-users] How can I get blastwave's package sources?:
>
>> Sure, but the problem is that the sources might be unavailable for many
>> reasons like a new release was made and the old release was
>> removed/moved or server is offline or even gone.
>
> Try asking, specifically what do you want?  They should all archived
> somewhere.  Note that GPL allows a charge to me made for this service,
> I'm sure Dennis can provide you with his rates.

Specifically I want to be able to build any package from Blastwave when
I want to, assuming I'm online. The main motivation for me is not
paranoia (I do trust binaries built by you) but learning how to build
Solaris and Blastwave packages.

I don't quite see the relevance of the cost of hosting the sources, the
cost of hosting the binaries will be (is!) *way* bigger.

>> I would like to have an
>> assurance of that when I build a package I build from the *exact* same
>> sources as the one in the archive was built.
>
> Why?

Because if I have a patch to a package I want to decrease the risk of
breaking anything by upgrading to the latest upstream sources.

>> I bet that today it is
>> practically impossible to rebuild any Blastwave release older than a
>> year or even a half year.
>
> I take on your bet, but you have already lost.  The practical problem
> is reconstructing the environment to build an old package but I have
> already done it when we needed a back compatible package.  Normally
> there is no reason to do it.

I thought (or assumed rather) that the build machine was a plain Solaris
8 installation with GCC and/or Sun Studio which should be fairly easy to
set up locally.

--
Trygve