[csw-users] How can I get blastwave's package sources?

Yann Rouillard yann.rouillard at jouy.inra.fr
Thu May 17 23:36:56 CEST 2007

> Specifically I want to be able to build any package from Blastwave when
> I want to, assuming I'm online. The main motivation for me is not
> paranoia (I do trust binaries built by you) but learning how to build
> Solaris and Blastwave packages.
>
> I don't quite see the relevance of the cost of hosting the sources, the
> cost of hosting the binaries will be (is!) *way* bigger.
>
>>> I would like to have an
>>> assurance of that when I build a package I build from the *exact* same
>>> sources as the one in the archive was built.
>> Why?
>
> Because if I have a patch to a package I want to decrease the risk of
> breaking anything by upgrading to the latest upstream sources.

It is also useful if you need a binary with a different compile-time
option than the original blastwave package.

>>> I bet that today it is
>>> practically impossible to rebuild any Blastwave release older than a
>>> year or even a half year.
>> I take on your bet, but you have already lost.  The practical problem
>> is reconstructing the environment to build an old package but I have
>> already done it when we needed a back compatible package.  Normally
>> there is no reason to do it.
>
> I thought (or assumed rather) that the build machine was a plain Solaris
> 8 installation with GCC and/or Sun Studio which should be fairly easy to
> set up locally.

I think it would be easy with some coordination to create a branch for
each blastwave release, but as James told you the problem is that, to be
able to rebuild a package reliably, you need the same headers, so you
would need every dependancies of this package to be in the svn gar
system and that's not guaranted right now.
Each maintainer is free to build its package the way he wants, the svn
gar system is just one way.

Yann