[csw-users] How can I get blastwave's package sources?

Steven Stallion sstallion at gmail.com
Thu May 31 06:28:35 CEST 2007

On Thu, 31 May 2007 00:10:34 -0400, "Elizabeth Schwartz"
<betsy.schwartz at gmail.com> wrote:
> /var/ is perhaps not the best place these days

/var is the traditional location for these types of files.

>From 'man filesystem':

     /var

         Root of a subtree for varying files. Varying  files  are
         files  that are unique to a machine but that can grow to
         an arbitrary (that is, variable) size. An example  is  a
         log  file. An approved installation location for bundled
         Solaris software.  The  analogous  location  for  add-on
         system     software     or     for    applications    is
         /var/opt/packagename.

> I for one am building
> Solaris Zones that don't have writable /var.

By default, new zones do not have an inherit-pkg-dir entry for /var (nor
should it ever). /var should *always* be writable - not doing so would
cause a number of issues preventing a system from functioning properly.

> It should at least take a flag
> to specify an alternate location. Although come to think of it, I don't
> have
> writable /opt either - I don't see a way to specify an alternate location
> for Blastwave stuff...?

I suppose it would be possible to add a new entry to pkg-get.conf, but is
this truly neccessary? Is the desire to move these types of files outside
of /var so great to warrant adding more complexity and (potential)
confusion?