[csw-users] How can I get blastwave's package sources?

Christopher Odenbach odenbach at uni-paderborn.de
Thu May 31 09:08:21 CEST 2007

Hi,

> What would be most excellent, and hopefully not hard, would be a
> *flag* to pkg-get that would simultaneously do the install and *not*
> blow away the source package when done.

You are confusing terms.

In my point of view a source package contains the upstream source files
and a recipe to build a binary package of them. The source files may
normally be e.g. c-source code files, the recipe would contain the
right configure statement, the call to make etc.

A binary package is a solaris pkg file, maybe gzipped if you like. This
package contains the already compiled binaries, libraries and
additional things like startscripts, config files etc.

Up to now blastwave only offers binary packages. pkg-get only downloads
binary packages.

> Just drop them somewhere in
> /opt/csw.  Then we could archive them ourselves. pkg-get -d grabs
> only one package, not all the dependencies, and most installs
> download a whole pile o' packages, making manual archiving a tedious
> process.

If you want to have the packages locally, just mirror the blastwave
site. Or install a transparent web proxy, that fetches new packages
from blastwave, but stores them locally afterwards, so that other
machines can fetch them much quicker later on. The Patch Check Advanced
project (PCA), does exactly this - very well done.

> If I could find the pkg-get *source* I'd be happy to add it in and
> offer it back.

pkg-get is a plain ksh script - you have the source!

Regards,

Christopher

    Dipl.-Ing. Christopher Odenbach
    Zentrum fuer Informations- und Medientechnologien
    Universitaet Paderborn
    Raum N5.110
    odenbach at uni-paderborn.de
    Tel.: +49 5251 60 5315