[csw-users] Problem with OpenOffice 2.2.0

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Tue Oct 9 11:54:03 CEST 2007

On 08/10/07, 20:26:22, Jeffery Small <jeff at cjsa.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-users] Problem with OpenOffice 2.2.0:

> >> I just installed OpenOffice 2.2.0 on a new Solaris 10 installation.
> >> When I attempt to print, the print dialog comes up with the proper
> >> default printer "ps" but the type is listed as:

> >>       Type:   CUPS:ps

> >> I am not using CUPS.  I'm using the standard Solaris SYSV lp printing
> >> system.

> >When you set the printer in spadmin what did you choose?  Which
> >printer did you choose?  What command line?   It asks "Choose a
> >command line" and I give it something like "lp -d laser"

> I never heard of spadmin and there is no manual page for it.  I'm pretty
> sure I never ran this command before.

It's been there since at least version 5.  (StarOffice 5, pre OOo.)
search for spadmin the OOo help and there are some docs.  (If your
help is working).

> The Printer Administration window shows the ps (Default printer) has
> the command "lp -s" and the Driver is listed as "ps (CUPS:ps)".

For me the default printer has a driver of "SGENPRT".

Try "New Printer", "Add a printer".  When you add new printers what
drivers does each offer?

The drivers correspond to files in
    /opt/csw/OpenOffice.org/share/psprint/driver
I can't find any reference to CUPS here.

The users settings are stored in:
    ~/.openoffice.org2/user/psprint/psprint.conf

Mine starts:
[Generic Printer]
Printer=SGENPRT/Generic Printer
DefaultPrinter=1
Location=
Comment=
Command=lp
-d laser

> I see no way to alter either the Command or the Driver entry for
> the printers using this tool.

The command is easy to change.  Highlight printer, "Properties...", and
type the command in the box or select from the list below the box.

The driver belongs to the printer so add a new printer.

James.