[csw-users] Initial Solaris Installation and Blastwave PackageInstallation

George Wyche gwyche at io.com
Tue Sep 11 16:17:11 CEST 2007

@Tracey
> That was my other question. Does it make sense to have 2 copies of gnome.
> I'm just trying to understand if it's needed. I come from linux background
> and understand the dependencies situation. I'm pretty new to solaris and
> would like to know what the proper build procedure for solaris 10 while
> getting the nice packages from blastwave. Blastwave seems like the only
> decent place that has the best packages available for Solaris that I am
> use
> to using. Thanks.
>
> Tracey Flanders

Well. I have now installed Solaris10 8/07 4 times and I have some advice.
Get rid of the Solaris packages AFTER you install. Figure out, which I
haven't done, how to get Solaris OS to embrace the /opt/csw tree.

#1 build: I did custom and left out Gnome, thinking to use Blastwave. Doh!
The first time I tried to log in the login screens would not complete...
Needed Gnome. Don't have it yet. I continued as console root and installed
my blastwave packages and *tried* to get the PATH to include /opt/csw, et
cetera, but obviously failed. Login screens acted just the same.

#2 build: Did upgrade, thinking to pick up Gnome from Sun. Failed. No change.

#3 build: Let Sun have their way... Bog standard install. (Just love the
UK-ism.) Login worked! Did blastwave packages. FAILED! Out of space! Doh!
The partitioning was, let us say, inconvenient.

#4 build: Custom install. Followed Dennis' Solaris10 11/06 install (even
though I use Sparc). Then (after some internet connectivity issues) loaded
on blastwave packages. SUCCESS.

George Wyche