[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Ian Dickinson iand at blastwave.org
Sun Sep 16 01:17:19 CEST 2007

Dennis Clarke wrote:
> This is the same thing that I see everywhere. Solaris 8 is out there and
> LOTs of it. I recently installed a new server for a company in Montreal and
> they demanded Solaris 8. Talks of anything fancy like Solaris 9 were of no
> value.
>
> If Sun wants Solaris 8 users to move forwards then Sun will need to start
> beating them with a stick. That will most likely drive them to Linux which
> is where Solaris users have been going for years.  Mostly because of
> ignorance.
>
> So .. the best thing to do is to shut up and let users do what they want.

I agree.

At work, we've been on Solaris 8 for ages because it was supremely stable and
did everything we wanted of it.  If blastwave didn't support Solaris 8, we
would never have started to use it.

We've started moving to Solaris 10 now, primarily because of the combination
of new hardware, zones and ZFS.  The u4 feature of running Solaris 8 inside a
zone will accelerate this significantly, and I'd be surprised if this didn't
help make the move easier for many others - pity it didn't come sooner.

Ian