[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Sun Sep 16 10:41:18 CEST 2007

On 14/09/07, 22:41:50, Ben Taylor <John.B.Taylor at Sun.COM> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:

> >>I was wondering why blastwave supports solaris 8 & above, and not 10
> >>and above?
> >>

> >Because people including myself have Solaris 8 systems.
> >

> you like working on really slow systems?

No I don't.  I don't like working on fast systems either (is vi
at 3GHz with 4 cores any more fun?).  More importantly I don't like
working on systems that don't need fixing.  In fact I don't really
like working but you didn't write to talk about work ethics.

Are you suggesting that Solaris 8 is somehow "really slow" whereas
Solaris 10 isn't?  Or a "really slow" system with Solaris 8 updated
to Solaris 10 will no longer be "really slow"?  I think not.

I'm not against S10 and my new installs have been S10 but for
existing systems the logic is:
    Does S8 support all my services?  Yes.
    Will it cost me money to update existing systems to S10?  Yes.
    Will I make more money with S10 installed?  No.
Debate over.

James.