[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Anthony Cogan anthony.cogan at thinkunix.com
Sun Sep 16 17:04:27 CEST 2007

It's really a debate between us "old timers" Sys. Admins in the
Enterprise vs. the newer "Linux" (I don't want to say kids, but), kids.

These people who run it at home or co-lo'd somewhere are used to
upgrading/updating every 6-12 months with the newest and latest
versions.

Whereas, I remember when I was doing some work at a large plane
manufacturer, us Sys. Admins were bent because of Y2k testing.  We
had some Solaris boxes at that time that had been up longer than
Windows NT had even been released (mainly DNS/Utility server stuff),
but we didn't want to reset our uptime. ;)

Anyways, in an Enterprise, you don't change just for the sake of
changing, if it works, then you leave it alone, except for critical
patches.

Now, like all of us "Old timers" have said, when something compelling
causes us to upgrade we do.  I just built two servers for my wife's
online business, a X2100 M2 and a X2200 M2, both running Solaris 10
with a good number of zones and ZFS.  I have to say, Solaris 10 does
have some darn nice features and will be the version I use for all
new builds, but I still do not see a compelling reason to move off of
Solaris 8.  For some odd reason too, I never have seen any reason to
go to Solaris 9, I couldn't even tell you one feature in it that
Solaris 8 didn't have.  Hmph.

I personally like to leave things running smoothly and reading my
Dilbert or the latest BigAdmin article instead of upgrading, which
always causes me about a week or two of fine tuning / debugging.

My .02 from this old timer.