[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Ben Taylor Ben.Taylor at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 19 16:04:04 CEST 2007

shuttlebox wrote:

>On 9/19/07, Ben Taylor <ben.taylor at sun.com> wrote:
>

>>But I'm willing to let the minority keep the bloat factor high
>>just to support thier little patch.
>>

>What is the bloat you and others have mentioned?

The bloat is the duplication of packages in blastwave that
are in Solaris, especially as you move from 8 to 9 to 10 to
11 (nevada).

So if you want to run the latest gnome on SOlaris 10 from
blastwave, you will likely have almost the entire Gnome tree
duplicated.  I understand that it is important to have a separate
tool chain not dependent on Sun.  However, what turns out is
minimal bloat on Solaris 8 turns into maximum bloat on Solaris 10.

Other instances is just the sheer number of packages required
to get one package.  Because there is no master database of
dependencies that can be querried remotely, a package has to
be unrolled, have it's dependencies checked, and then stop and
go get more to resolve dependencies.

In a better version of blastwave, the check for dependencies
would happen before downloading the first package.  In a standalone
environment, the existing model could be used.