[csw-users] Dependency management, was Re: Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at inamo.no
Wed Sep 19 18:47:55 CEST 2007

(posting as new as the topic is new)

Dennis Clarke wrote:
 >> shuttlebox wrote:

[snip]

 >> Other instances is just the sheer number of packages required
 >> to get one package.  Because there is no master database of
 >> dependencies that can be querried remotely, a package has to
 >> be unrolled, have it's dependencies checked, and then stop and
 >> go get more to resolve dependencies.
 >>
 >> In a better version of blastwave, the check for dependencies
 >> would happen before downloading the first package.  In a standalone
 >> environment, the existing model could be used.
 >>

 > Ben, I think that we had spoken about a small PostgreSQL client that
could
 > query a database server for the required dependency information.  Do you
 > think that we could put together a prototype ? I am certainly ready to
 > create the database server and the query would not be all that complex.
 > Recursive perhaps  but not complex.

Please, please, do not reinvent the wheel here! Most of the Linux
distros has solved this in a very elegant way. It might not be possible
to compile those packages directly on Solaris because of GPL issues, but
at least their ideas can be leveraged.

Another option is to look to different, but yet similar dependency
management solutions like Apache Maven which could provide a build system.

--
Trygve