[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Ben Taylor ben.taylor at sun.com
Wed Sep 19 19:04:13 CEST 2007

James Lee wrote:

>I am constantly learning new things, what part of "it costs me
>money" did you not hear?

Can't wait till it costs you money because Sun doesn't have enough expertise
assigned to Solaris 8 problem resolution.

>Can we get back to how Solaris 8 support affects Solaris 10?
>The 2 reasons Ben Taylor gave being void, any others?

I have never *said* stop supporting Solaris 8.    Stop putting words in
my mouth.

I have consistenly said "don't go to super human effort to port
applciation to
Solaris 8".  IE, if it doesn't compile out of the box on Solaris 8, move to
Solaris 9.   Even so, there are performance enhancements that are lost
because the SW is compiled for a 7 year old OS and 10 year old hardware.
That's what I call an albatross