[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Steven Stallion sstallion at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:17:56 CEST 2007

Dennis Clarke wrote:

> I hate spawning threads that don't take us anywhere .. but .. Java is open
> source now and thus in theory we could build Java on my microwave oven.

While that may be true (in theory), those of us who make use of java in
the workplace very rarely step outside of sun's official vm offerings
for very good reasons.

As it stands, SE 5 just now rules the corporate landscape (since it is
required for Java EE 5). However, when EE 6 is pushed out, (most likely
within the next year or two and adopted a year after that) you can
expect that SE 6 will be a minimal requirement.

Java EE deployments constitute a rather large number of total Sun
customers out there. Albeit, it will take a few years for SE 6 to become
a requirement, but that day is coming. As soon as the major application
server vendors release support for EE 6, you can expect Solaris 8
support to go the way of the dodo.