[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Torrey McMahon tmcmahon2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 21:50:51 CEST 2007

Some comments

1 - Instead of providing the /opt/csw tree blastwave turns its resources
to keeping the latest and greatest freeware in opensolaris. The fact
that opensolaris is pretty up-to-date with lots of packages, though not
always the very latest and greatest, says we might want to rethink
things. Indiana also plays into account here.
2 - Come up with the charter statement that details if/when blastwave
stops providing support for older OS. I've never seen this in writing
and it would come in quite handy. People would know when support starts
and ends giving them enough time to migrate. The fact that we're
discussing this is the major headache not when we cut S8 or S9 support.
3 - Given blastwave is a volunteer effort its up to the maintainers -
Thats the other email list - to decide what gets supported or not. It
doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. It matters what the
maintainers think....with Dennis and Phil owning majority shares. :-)
4 - We still need to provide some solutions to the fact that the
/opt/csw tree can conflict with other packages. I got an interesting
email from someone at Sun that said it wasn't the bloat that ticked him
off but that we weren't linking things in a correct fashion to avoid
conflicts.