[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Torrey McMahon tmcmahon2 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 17:37:00 CEST 2007

Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> On 20/09/07, 14:57:03, Torrey McMahon <tmcmahon2 at yahoo.com> wrote regarding
>> Re: [csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:

>>> Which date? Last ship date? EOL? EOSL?
>>>
>>> http://www.sun.com/service/eosl/solaris/solaris_vintage_eol_5.2005.xml
>>>
>> 2009-03-31 looks like end of support to me.
>>
>> Phase 2 to us might mean keeping the archive on the mirrors but
>> not updating, "access to existing".
>>

> Solaris 8 End Of Service Life is 03/31/12

I would assert that Sun has more resources in the support space then
Blastwave does and that aligning with the Sun support documents isn't
the best thing to do. Do we really want to maintain Solaris 8 packages
for an other 4+ years? What about Solaris 9?

Something to think about. This discussion should probably me moved to
maintainers.