[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Brandorr brandorr at opensolaris.org
Sun Sep 23 04:18:47 CEST 2007

On 9/22/07, ken mays <maybird1776 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Good question, most of the augments put forward
> against S8 apply to
>  S9,
> >> (some even apply to S10, eg OpenSolaris libs).
> >>
> >> Same rational?  Although personally I've skipped S9
> completely so
> >> after S8 is dropped I can start moaning. :-)
>
> Geez, we still on this subject? (smile)
>
> I think Sun only support OS releases as far back as
> Solaris 7 now. They ended some of their support of the
> older OS releases around Mar 2007. Check on that.
>
> I think Solaris 8 is next on the list, but Solaris 7
> will end before that (I expect Y2008 will be the end
> of Solaris 7 support). Sun mention it supports up to
> three OS releases so I expect Solaris 8 support until
> "Solaris 11" is officially released.
>
> Why are companies sticking with Solaris 8? Cost and
> support. Also, no need to reinvent the wheel and
> limited resources to test new deployments. The rules
> of "old reliable car" versus "new shiny car" applies
> here (or old spouse versus new spouse).
>
> We could ask Sun the question of why they still are
> officially supporting Solaris 7?!?
>
> Let us not get caught up on this as it is good the
> Blastwave ISV supports Solaris 8 cause they feel like
> it. Again, the point I made earlier was that we talked
> about it becoming legacy support (not "unsupported").
>
> Sun has moved a few of their products to Solaris 9/10
> only. Good business sense for ISVs is to move to
> Solaris 10 as the primary support model and Solaris
> 8/9 as legacy support. But, that is a personal
> business choice for each ISV business - even the
> Blastwave ISV.
>
> Hey, if supporting Solaris 8 onwards is putting 'food
> on the table' for an ISV or Solaris professionals
> around the world, then why rock the money tree?

Solaris 8 is so entrenched in the field that Sun has developed a
Branded zone called Etude, that provided a virtual Solaris 8
environment on Solaris 10 systems, to encourage Solaris 8 users to
migrate to Solaris 10.

Speaking of Etude, might this mean that their will be demand for the
Solaris 8 Blastwave tree for longer than initially suspected?

-Brian

> ~K

- Brian Gupta

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/nycosug/