[csw-users] Will a Blastwave install take precedence over an older one?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Wed Feb 27 22:25:01 CET 2008

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:52:11 -0500 (EST)
> "Dennis Clarke" <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:

>> > It's only open to Blastwave developers.
>>
>> Mostly because we like to keep our arguments^H^H^H^Hdiscussions in the
>> family and the public sees us all smiling.  Just like any other
>> software company. :-)
>>

> Hm, I am a bit ... disappointed. Company, not community. Is this a
> freudian slip?

The objective of the Blastwave project has not changed since day zero when
one Solaris user needed help from another Solaris user and that is how
myself and Phil Brown started all this. Ever since then we have lists that
are internal to all the people working on the project and then we have
public lists for various other things.  Mailists for users who can ask
questions. Do you really want to hear and see all the traffic related to me
trying to get the IDMAP and NSS Using LDAP from ADS with RFC2307bis Schema
Extensions in Samba 3.0.28 ??

Not very likely. Even worse ... that sort of traffic can clog up the users
mail lists that are just trying to get the job done.

> Debian-devel, Gnome-devel, Opensolaris-devel,
> Linux-Kernel, all those developer mailing lists are archived and the
> archives are open to the public.

Not all mailists in OpenSolaris.org are public lists. Not all lists in
Debian ( Linux by the way ) are public either.

> I am a system administrator, not a developer, but it is very useful
> for me to look over these lists every few weeks. I can learn about the
> further direction of development. I can see how unstable the unstable
> branch really is this week. Very often it helps me to solve/avoid
> problems.
> Of course you have every right to have your private
> discussions - perhaps there could be two developer lists?

We were always just trying to keep all of out long winded and very technical
discussions from clogging up the world. If you want to join in the project
and maybe do some port work then you too can become another Solaris user
that just wants to help another Solaris user.

Dennis Clarke