[csw-users] Newbie question

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Thu Feb 28 16:21:30 CET 2008

> Please pardon if this has already been covered, I've done a cursory
> check on the problem but probably do not have enough info to do an
> intelligent search.  Being the newb that I am, I make an assumption that
> everyone uses a script called "cswpkg" to keep their software
> installations up to date and that everyone uses a "master" file that
> contains the list of installed software.
>
> If the above assumption is correct, I have to ask why when I ran the
> script, did it delete all of my emacs installation leaving only the
> Athena Tool Kit?  Further, having gone through about 50 systems after
> running the cswpkg script, I found that at least two new packages that
> it had installed were gone.  How can that happen when they all use the
> same script and master file?

Not sure what you mean by cswpkg.  Do you mean /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get ?

You should have a conf file that look like so :

url=http://blastwave.network.com/csw/unstable
#-------------------------------------------------------------
# If you need to use a proxy then configure the next few lines
#ftp_proxy=http://192.168.35.7:8080
#http_proxy=http://192.168.35.7:8080
#export http_proxy ftp_proxy
#
#-------------------------------------------------------------
# If you want to keep a record of each time you ever do
# a catalog update or package fetch then use the next line.
# Be sure to create the directory yourself !  Like so :
#     mkdir -m 0700 /var/spool/pkg-get
#
#PKGGET_DOWNLOAD_DIR=/var/spool/pkg-get/pkg-get.$$
#-------------------------------------------------------------
# On Solaris 10 and upwards this will restric the install to
# the global zone only.
#PKGADDFLAGS=-G
# To disable use of gpg or md5, uncomment these.  Just leave
# them commented out in order to ensure that each package and
# metafile data is checked for integrity via an MD5 hash.
#use_gpg=false
#use_md5=false

Then just run /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -U  followed by

  /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -c | grep -v Not

That will show you every thing you have installed as well as the revsions.

Dennis Clarke