[csw-users] openldap : package ready for solaris 10?

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Jun 12 20:26:02 CEST 2008

Gérard Henry wrote:
> hello all,
> i have to migrate nis to ldap, and forced to do it with openldap.

Things could be worse, you might be forced to use eDirectory or AD!

> I installed CSWoldap, but trying to follow the README, i'm unable to
> understand what files are really missing or not?
> Is this package ready for solaris?

It wouldn't be in the repository if it wasn't ready ;-).

> On the net, i found few documents about solaris 8 or 9, but are they
> applicable to 10?
> is it normal that slapd.conf contains just:
> include         /opt/csw/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
> ?

Only including the core.schema is pretty normal for the default
installation as it's required. It won't give you all the need for
functional posix accounts, you'll need rfc2307bis.schema for that plus
any schema's which it requires.

> what about DUAConfgProfile.schema and solaris.schema? (*)

DUAConfigProfile.schema is really only need if you plan on configuring
your Solaris clients with ldapclient and a profile stored in the
directory. This isn't required though it does simplify things.
solaris.schema may or may not be used but it won't hurt to load it.

> (*)
> http://web.singnet.com.sg/~garyttt/Installing%20and%20configuring%20OpenLDAP%20for%20Solaris9.htm

Gary's ldap pages are a great resource, be sure to read them all.

Also check out PADL's Migration Tools as they will greatly simplify
life, http://www.padl.com/OSS/MigrationTools.html. As I recall I needed
to modify them a bit in order to properly create the ldif's for import
but it was trivial. I did use some nis command to dump the tables to
flat files but it was 2 years ago and I don't recall which one.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Email: darinper at cognigencorp.com